Katie likes to say that in Thailand, at the end of the rainbow lies food and Buddha. No leprechans here! I ran on the beach in Hua Hin from the retreat house all the way to a statue of the Golden Buddha I saw in the distance on a hill. It was much further than anticipated, but 30 minutes and one Rosary later, I arrived. There were no more farang on the beach, it was all locals. But, on my way back, as I have swam in the ocean, part walked, and part ran, it began to rain. The sky over the land was clear, with the sun shining through the clouds, but over me, on the sand, it was raining... It was beautiful! To my right, over the sea, was a double rainbow! At the end of the rainbow? The Golden Buddha! As I ran, a Thai man running the opposite direction gave me a fist pump as he ran past me in the rain. I couldn't help it-- I was grinning from ear to ear as my bare feet avoided the jelly fish and tiny shells on the sand... This is truly my spirit being lifted to the heights by God on the first day of retreat-- all in silence!
 |
| Morning sunrise from the porch |
Honestly, our day of silence was not at all silence for me. We had left the city for a 3 day retreat to get out of the pollution and enjoy some calm in the midst of our scurried schedule, and this day of silence was anything but silent!
My mind was racing with my imagination and my heart, thinking about my life and love...So I spent my day trying to be open to God and letting my imagination fly away for a while. I woke up to the sunrise over the ocean-- one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen, as for me, the sky is my FAVORITE part of creation (especially since Anneli told me in college something about God flirting with me! I experience this Divine affection in His gift of clouds, stars, the Sun and Moon, rain, and clear blue sky!). After early mass, I prayed Morning Prayer walking along the beach, with my feet in the water. There is nothing better than praying the Psalms praising creation of the skies and seas when the water circling around my feet, the wind blowing, and clouds breaking up the blue in the sky... I remember reading that some people really feel whole and healed by the sea--I think it's true for me. I experience God in the sky, and in the water--floating in the waves in the morning waves, looking up at the big sky (trying not to think about a creature from the water biting off my toes--I really need to learn more about underwater life so I stop freaking myself out!).
 |
| Enjoying a Banana on the beach on our last day! |
The last gift from God before leaving Hua Hin? The gardener gave me coconuts from the trees!!! Never in my life have I been given coconuts (remember, Wisco and Kansas have none, and my experience with coconut trees? Nill.). It was beautiful!!! ... Until Kate left them on the bus when we arrive back in Bangkok.
 |
| The Gardener! |
God has blessed me in this life--I left my job, my family, and the love of my life for a life with the poor. And He blesses me with a retreat on the ocean, and generous friends whom I would never meet otherwise. In giving my life this time, He keeps giving me more and more--How, or why, do I keep saying "Yes"??? I give with my hands outstretched, but they both must remain open to receive.
No comments:
Post a Comment