Friday, May 20, 2011

Street Food & Culture

One of my favorite experiences of the week is buying food on the street. So far I have had zero problems with the food, hence I have been told I have a "missionary stomach"--strong enough to handle different types of food. I have to say, it gives me a little boost of self confidence. :)

This morning, I was running late, so didn't have time for coffee (though I really could have used it--sooo tired!). So, I grabbed a freshly squeezed juice from something like tangerines on the street as I rushed past. 10 baht for that. Then I went to the normal stand for some muu ping, or, bbq'd pork, with khaoniaw (sticky rice). It is 5 baht for each muu ping, and then 3 baht for about half a cup of sticky rice. I usually get anywhere from 2 to 5 skewers of meat, always with one bag of rice.

   
muu ping


Most of the girls go to 7/11 to take their breakfast. I may get a yogurt (13 baht), or a small bar to eat (5 baht), but I prefer the street food. I had this amazing omelette for my first experience of street food--egg, a bit of pork, fish oil, onion, and I don't know what else... With a lovely red sauce. Usually they serve it with, nothing else than... RICE! Ha, but I prefer my breakfast "rice-free" when possible.

Omelette and yogurt.


Bread with oil and sugar, having been toasted over some coals on the street, with my yogurt, juice (I now prefer the one from the street), and my...

Sweetened milk! It came free with purchase of 2 yogurts. I actually... don't drink it. It's a little strange for me.


Now, I have some random pictures to share. If there's nothing else I find hilarious, it's advertisements that seem to make no sense. Like this one, for example:

What's it for...? No, it's not a drug. Many people here in the polluted city carry a small tube of good smelling herbs or a cream sort of thing. Khruu Byu (one of my teachers) has one that smells like Vicks Vapor Rub. They carry it on the bus, or as they walk, sticking it up to their noses.

Can we say the city retains a bit of the country? I wish this was legal at home...

LOVE love LOVE this little blurb in a bookmark for sale--BTW, the bookmark is made from elephant dung. I almost bought one for Joy, but... She'll just have to come visit me in Thailand first!


2 comments:

  1. Nice! I've been eating more Chinese food, but I'm doubting it compares. Also, people can ride in the back of trucks here (I'm assuming that's what you were referring to?) as long as they are at least 16 years of age. At least that's how it was when I was growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Aunt, Barb Martin, shared your recent sponsor e-mail with me, and I was very excited to start following your blog. I know we have met, but you may not remember me. I am so impressed with the work you are doing, and can't wait to hear all about it through your blog :) Caitlin Emerson (Rutherford)

    ReplyDelete