Throughout my time in Madtown (Madison), I have had quite a bit of time on my hands. I am taking in a plethora of ideas and observations, between my time with my nephews (and god-sons!), travels to visit family and friends on the weekends, tutoring, time with St. Paul's ministry, and Monday School of Community.
Initially, I wanted my time here to be a period of preparation and discernment, as well as formation of myself. Yes, I am applying and interviewing with programs to go overseas. (I leave next Friday for my "Come & See"/Interview weekend with Heart's Home in Brooklyn.) But I know that I must prepare myself for that work.
I have been reading the writings of the founder of Heart's Home, Rev. Thierry de Roucy, on-line. I find myself struck to the heart by what he writes to the first volunteers in 1991. He is speaking to the volunteers prior to their departure, describing the children he has seen--those whom will be served by these volunteers. The cries of the children, who have been beaten bloody by their drunken mother, the face of the boy filling a basket with paper from garbage heaps, a 14 year old girl pan handling for money as her undernourished body holds her unborn baby... Rev. Thierry goes on,
"That face, that look, that belly, that cry, dear est Missionaries, have not left you un con cerned… They have distressed you deeply... And then you leave be hind your current nets and fishes and the day after you will get in to the plane which will take you among them.
These chil dren are ask ing you to come to them. You know it well, you who have heard their tragic call and their desperate si lence… But most of all, the se children are ask ing you to come to God. Forgetting it would be like reducing to nothing the vocation which is yours from now on. These children are the spring board lead ing you to a true conversion and which, once again, will turn you in to the very beneficiaries where as in the eyes of the world you will be tak en for un lucky debtors. I have nothing to wish you but to retain every thing from their teaching. Yet they do not train for the baccalaureate nor for any certification. They train for the love test, they open the doors to the heavenly Kingdom: “If you do not be come like this child…”"
My nephews, as babies who as of yet know nothing and are quite useless, are incredible teachers of love. I gaze--literally gaze-- at them. In the morning, when I first come downstairs on my way to brush my teeth, I cannot help but stop to gaze at their faces. To hold them and look into their eyes, so unassuming, smiling with purity and love... I look at them and all barriers fall. So I ponder, Christ, our Creator!, entered the world as such: unassuming, pure, weak, and completely dependent upon others.
How queer it is... I never have understood that as I do now! The face of a child...The innocence. It is incredible to think of my Father as such! Such is my present encounter with the Face of Christ and His Love!
No comments:
Post a Comment