This past week has been a welcome time of slowing down amidst everything this summer--deciding to leave St. Agnes, moving to Madison, leaving Kansas City, going through everything that I own in order to down-size and consolidate...
I spent last week with my sister in law to get used to the boys schedule of feedings, learning their signals (tired, hungry, wet, playful or just want to be held!), and getting settled in Madison.
Best part of the week--well, I don't do favorites, so there are a few:
1) Spending time with my brother/sister-in-law.
2) Enjoying the beautiful faces and tiny fingers and toes
and precious moments with my nephews.
3) Meeting ONE person at St. Paul's at UW-Madison!
I checked out a couple of churches nearby, my favorite so far being the campus Catholic center (St. Paul's) for UW-Madison. I went in to pray for a few, and then was in the vestibule looking at some pamphlets on the literature rack, having had prayed for God to send someone for me to talk to about St. Paul's maybe 10 minutes earlier, and a girl walked in the door. She stared, I stared, we said hello and introduced ourselves. Find out she did FOCUS for 3 years, 2 of which she spent at Madison. She just started working at St. Paul's as the head of the Grad Student-Young Professional ministry. She knows all sorts of awesome people from Kansas City that I do too! It definitely made me feel at home and welcomed! Yay for being Catholic!!!
So, in my previous post I listed 9 mission organizations I am discerning.
This past weekend, which I spent in beautiful Door County with the wonderful Anneli, provided so much direction in my discernment.
We spent Friday night near Kangaroo Lake in Bailey's Harbor. Anneli's sister worked there this summer at "Catholic Youth Expeditions".
So, as Anya told us all about how it was founded, what it's mission is, shared her experiences of the summer, etc. I began to ponder things in my heart. Talking to Anneli during the drive, as well as Liz on the way up helped me begin to vocalize and thus clarify a lot of my thoughts on these different mission orgs. Saturday morning began with 30 min of Adoration, Morning Prayer from the Divine Office, and then Mass, followed by the perpetual Novena to St. Joseph for CYE and the New Evangelization... By the end, I was really contemplating the mission of Heart's Home. I watched their video on Thursday night before I left for the weekend, and I have to say, it has awakened something in my heart. A few missionaries from Heart's Home came to Benedictine College my freshman year to speak after Raven Worship one Friday night. I remember because I kept one of their bookmarks they handed out (I still have it).
THUS
I have it narrowed down to 3 organizations:
1) Salesian Lay Missioners--
Number one is that they focus on Youth Ministry, as the Salesians were founded by Don Bosco (Sweetest YM since Christ!). So far, I admire their prayer and community life, in addition to their work with children and youth, and the commitment is 1-3 years (which appears to be you can commit to 1 and then increase it). It seems that there is no fundraising required (huge obstacle for me with the other 2 options) and the training is just a few weeks up in New York. If language school is needed, they provide it as well. I really like how this is organized, although at this point I really need to talk to someone from the org. more in depth to know for sure.
2) Lay Mission Helpers
Yikes--the most lengthy application by far! 30 personal essay questions, psychological testing, physicals, extensive health history...
I met with a married couple who just returned a month ago from 2 years of service with LMH in Cameroon. They shared pictures and stories, particularly notable being that there are young people out of college who are missionaries with LMH (the website only shows pictures of older people). This is the best one of the three as far as financial commitment, although I would have to fundraise a set amount per year of service (3 year commitment). They also give an amount upon return the States after the commitment is up for relocation expenses. The work of the missionaries is anything from hospital work to teaching to agriculture... whatever your skills allow basically. They also are integrated into the local parish and are paid by the diocese in which they lived a salary in addition to the $50 monthly stipend. LMH also provides the most in depth and lengthy training before departure, being 3 months in LA, Cali. The training is not so much about where you will be placed, but moreso focuses on yourself: what do I need to give of myself? How will I respond in different situations in a foreign country? etc... The missionaries are sent to a place near or with another missionary, and always in a place previous missionaries have been. It is not a new place for the program, so the local people are familiar with the missionaries and their work.
3) Heart's Home
http://usa.heartshome.org/ (watch the video!)
The best part about it:
The purpose of the missionary is simply to be a loving and compassionate presence to those in spiritual poverty. It is not to provide another orphanage, hospital or school. The missionaries live in community of 5, beginning each day with prayer. Then they go out 2 by 2 in their neighborhood and 1 stays home to welcome people, often kids, and provide in any way he/she can. That is what I want to do on mission overseas. Or even in the States.
The downside: I have to fundraise: mucho.
So... other aspects--awesome prayer and community base, training, great mission, commitment of 14-24 months, and they are in 'rich' countries even (i.e. USA, Italy, France, etc.).
Now I shall begin actually completing and submitting my applications. I have a phone date tomorrow with someone from Heart's Home. I am anxious to plan my travel dates to each location for their discernment weekends-
-and grateful God helped me narrow it down from 9 to 3!
No comments:
Post a Comment