Thursday, December 08, 2011

Handel in Bangkok

Last night, I was thrilled to attend a performance of Handel’s Messiah by the Bangkok Combined Choir with the Bangkok International Community Orchestra. I sat with my friends who had never heard of Handel or his genius composition, and was more than happy to point out the explanations in the program. I was grateful I have heard Handel's Messiah annually, at least on Mom’s CD player every Christmas and Easter, to the point of being able to sing along with the chorus! I was mindful of the years of Christmas with the Hagmans and attending a show of some sort, a concert, play, musical...

I was struck as I looked at the program and saw all of the text from Scripture that comprises the vocals (I never could make out all the words)--Handel had to really know Scripture to compile these verses from Old Testament, New Testament to complete his composition in 24 days--choice verses selected to demonstrate the fulfilled prophecies and the testimony of Christ’s life... 

Taking in the sounds around me, of 100 voices resounding the texts from Scripture, documenting and celebrating this life that was lived. I opened my eyes and looked up at the walls of the church. There are sculptures of Christ’s passion, flagellation, crucifixion...All of the people gathered in this church for a concert before Christmas are united by the very fact of Christ’s life. The tradition of Handel’s Messiah is 270 years old, and it is a celebration of the life of Christ--a life that was lived! What a beautiful experience to begin Advent!!!


1 comment:

  1. This is so beautiful. What an adventure you are living!-kate

    ReplyDelete