My expectation that October would be a breath of air after the activity of September was seriously wrong. I took the time to hand write some letters (long overdue) and by the time I finished we began fixing our house. This has been a project we’ve been looking at since I arrived, assessing how much work needed to be done. Heart’s Home has had this house for about 8 or 9 years, and only the roof and stairs have ever been fixed. We began to notice things, like foundation pillars cracked, wood eaten by termites, and dysfunctional electrical outlets. We have had several contractors come to give an estimate. I was asked to look over it all, to send pictures to our visitor in New York, and as a community we had to prioritize our repairs taking into account the cost. One day we got a phone call: “Are you ready to have them start the work today? Otherwise you will lose your workers to another job.”
We had to make a fast decision and spent the day moving everything out of two bedrooms and the hallway into one bedroom and to the downstairs. It was a leap of faith, as we hadn’t yet found the money for the repairs. Praise Jesus, after six days of work, the work finished, and we are finishing getting the house in order. Plus, during the week, we found the money! It helped that the real cost was half of the estimate, as we paid per day for labor, but we had to go to purchase all the materials (which was really fun-- and funny!). I love construction projects and love watching the men work--I got a real kick out of watching the supervisor drink a beer on the job--with a straw! One worker looked like he rolled out of bed, working in his shorts and t-shirt, and none of them really ever wore shoes around all of the nails and scraps of materials!
The kids were crazy this month, which I understand. They had holiday from school, and our house was closed for repairs. Some of our regular kiddos came in and out quite a bit, really wanting to help. The first day, I was sitting on Thuy's bed downstairs, and became creative as the kids started climbing up to sit with me. We played a game--the bed was a boat and I had Ohn be the shark! Any new kids who walked in the door had to get on the bed without being caught! LOL... It was awesome!
I completely believe in letting the kids help--I'm there with them: not much they can mess up. And I take it as an awesome chance to teach them skills. Children LOVE having something they can take responsibility for! I really believe it is the best way to help them--teach them how to do it and let them try! I let Waan help paint--She was so proud to help, she would show kids the paint on her hands as she walked on the street with me to the store!
Momai helped clean downstairs and came to pick up lunch, so happy to carry it home for me. And what does it cost but a little time to take a picture of her in every room of the house? What does it take to have a spirit of “yes”?!
Who knew you could learn so much from yet ANOTHER house-fixing project (my life seems to never end with these projects)...I am really learning to be present--to slow down-to let the other free to be herself-to give space-to let go of my opinion and open the space-to be free to be me! LOVE IT!
"After" pictures will come soon!!!
ReplyDelete