I suppose it's on the news at home, that this City of Smiles being evacuated as water pushes its way through from the Chao Praya River to the Gulf. But I think many people at home don't keep up on the news, especially worldwide (ahem, Joy!)--I know I didn't realize how ignorant I've been until I moved here. I love living in a city that is a Mecca for many cultures and the paper prints headlines from around the world. Somehow living here makes the entire world seem more accessible than it is in the Midwest.
(I must say the reporting on US news is a major FAIL here: On CNN, you have economic crisis in Greece, the devasting earthquake in Turkey, and then the case of Michael Jackson's doctor in the US. In the newspaper, you have a little more on the US--how about a Florida yoga instructor introducing "dog yoga" or the nude activists in San Francisco. I'm sure readers appreciate diversity in topics, but where's the news that matters from the US? Interesting what our country emulates for the rest of the world and what the world picks up on...)
Northern Thailand has been flooded for over 2 months now, from heavy rainfall for three months, and the water had been kept back for reasons of the different agricultural seasons--then the unexpected amounts of rain came. Over 20 of the 77 provinces in Thailand are flooded, under 1-2 meters of water. The Chao Praya River runs from the North of the country all the way down to the Gulf, coming right through Bangkok. Obviously, the water needs to run down the river to reach the sea. At this point, it's coming down at the same time of high tide on the sea--hence the high risk to Bangkok. Being the economic center of Thailand, and the business headquarters for most companies located in Asia, any water is a threat to the economy of Thailand and of Asia, and is also taking lives and livilihoods throughout the country.
(I must say the reporting on US news is a major FAIL here: On CNN, you have economic crisis in Greece, the devasting earthquake in Turkey, and then the case of Michael Jackson's doctor in the US. In the newspaper, you have a little more on the US--how about a Florida yoga instructor introducing "dog yoga" or the nude activists in San Francisco. I'm sure readers appreciate diversity in topics, but where's the news that matters from the US? Interesting what our country emulates for the rest of the world and what the world picks up on...)
Northern Thailand has been flooded for over 2 months now, from heavy rainfall for three months, and the water had been kept back for reasons of the different agricultural seasons--then the unexpected amounts of rain came. Over 20 of the 77 provinces in Thailand are flooded, under 1-2 meters of water. The Chao Praya River runs from the North of the country all the way down to the Gulf, coming right through Bangkok. Obviously, the water needs to run down the river to reach the sea. At this point, it's coming down at the same time of high tide on the sea--hence the high risk to Bangkok. Being the economic center of Thailand, and the business headquarters for most companies located in Asia, any water is a threat to the economy of Thailand and of Asia, and is also taking lives and livilihoods throughout the country.
The Prime Minister, YinLuck and the Governor, with all their advisors are trying to devise plans to funnel the water through the city with the least harm to the city center, which has been blocked off by walls. They are calculating when to open the dams and whether to dredge up the roads to get the water through more quickly.
| Map of the Bangkok Metro Area. Shows flooding as of October 23. Blue is flooded--actually the pink is where we were on Wednesday with 2 meters of water. The light yellow and gold along the Chao Praya is where we are. Current estimates are 20 cm in parts of the city center, 50 cm where close to the river. |
What are the people saying? The water will come--just let it out and get it done with. We expected it over 2 weeks ago, and the shelves at 7/11, Big C, Tesco/Lotus... have been EMPTY of food and water for that long. Now people are trying to buy more food and water with little success--besides the 1 million who have evacuated the city already, many of whom just up and left the country for a while.
The Thai people have this phrase, "Mai pen rai"--meaning, "no big deal", "no worries", "no problem"... It is imbedded in their culture and defines how anyone reacts to this disaster in particular. Being farang, Wednesday night we had contact with our house in New York, trying to take a decision of what our plan was for this predicted 50cm to 2 meters of water inevitably coming our way. The water is full of disease, sewage, crocodiles, eels, snakes... What were we to do? We have a 2nd floor, but we would also be 5 women in a small space. The decision was made to leave our house, leave our neighborhood and find a place to stay with our ex-pat friends. Heart's Home has a responsibility to our families for our well-being, despite our desire to stay with our friends and be with them in this disaster.
Wednesday night we went to the airport to pick up Natalie, our new sister of community from the US, beginning her mission here with us for 18 months. We all went, came home, got to sleep by 3am, woke up for prayer at 730--Nathalie was incredible, after traveling for 30 hours half way around the world, she made it through on 4 hours of sleep and helped move everything, spending her first day in Thailand leaving her house of mission. We spent the whole morning and early afternoon moving everything in the house to the 2nd floor--refrigerator, gas stove, dishes, food, toys: EVERYTHING. We had just spent 2 weeks doing work on our house, fixing rotten and termite eaten wood upstairs, fixing windows, and Wednesday was the last day of electrical work and painting. We have been moving all of our furniture multiple times--to put it mildly, we were all exhausted before Thursday began.
In disaster mode, personalities really come out. Eva had prepared 2 weeks ago, having brought a suitcase to a friend's house ahead of time, telling us the flood was coming. Thuy and I said, "mai pen rai! The flood won't come here!" Marie and Eva went a week ago to buy food and clean water for us if it came, as Thuy and I rolled our eyes at them for panicking--we'll be fine. No problem. If the water comes it comes. We can pee in a bucket and toss it out the window, we can eat rice for a few weeks, and play games by candlelight upstairs--it's an adventure. Why freak out?
On Thursday, as we started packing up, I was in a bit of a panic mode (speaking of personalities coming out... my reaction took a 180). I called one friend who had already said I could call if we needed help, but she didn't answer. So I called another friend, who said, sorry, no, you can't come here, we're leaving the country. Then I called a 3rd friend who said yes. Then the 2nd friend called back and said yes. So I called the 3rd one and said no, and said yes to the 2nd friend. Then the 1st friend called back and said, Sorry, I was at church--of course you can stay! I'm expecting you! So I managed it all horribly, probably offended someone, tripped over my words and didn't know how to decide where to go...
I called my parents, leaving a message with Mom. Dad picked up and as I spoke, he said, "So, in all of this, you sound really cool about it. How do you really feel?" I was taken aback--I didn't know he could see through me so well! He helped me see how I really felt--exhausted. Drained. A bit scared.
I demanded from the girls--"We NEED a plan!" The city will shut down for 5 days, and we all go to different homes, but what if there is water next week and it stays for a month? Do we burden our friends for so long, as they have to feed us AND their own families when there's a shortage? What is the PLAN? We are supposed to be together, but if this water is on the street, it's not safe to walk in, how do we communicate? If there's no internet, no cell phone service, and no electricity? We need a PLAN!
They said, "Erika. There is no way to know. We can't have a plan."
I was sorely frustrated and adamant that it's a cultural difference--in the US, we would have a plan.
HA. (In reality it's much more a personality difference, I think--or a level of faith...)
Exhausted after eating a quick lunch of fried rice for the upteenth time this week, I called Ryan. I don't know how important others think it is to call ones boyfriend in time of emergency, but I felt a need to tell him. And God knows I am SO glad I did. He sent me positive vibes over the phone that helped me shake it all off and get through the rest of the day. He said, Hey, no worries, You'll be fine. Think about Lucille Ball and Ricky Ricardo--think of the funny things Lucy would do in this situation. I laughed. Wow, my spirit is lightening and you're right, I"ll be fine. Thank God for that 15 minutes of joy and positive vibes coming through from this amazing man in my life.
| Marie in our room, looking at what to pack. |
Finally, I fled from my house, taking with me what was only necessary--clothes for a couple days (not knowing if I need to leave home for a few days, weeks, or a month), my passport and papers, my camera and harddrive, my voice recorder with Ryan reading me "The Hobbit", my journal, a book, my Magnificat, and toiletries, and my pillow. As I looked around my room, I was almost searching for more--thinking I needed more. But that was all necessary.
| Cars parked on the expressway to avoid the water. |
I thought of my feelings and emotions and exhaustion from the past 2 weeks and from Thursday. I thought of this little, tiny glimpse I have now of what it is to flee for safety, having to be truly poor and leaving my friends and home. I have been praying for the gift of tears to soften my heart--it's been so long! And finally, they came last night at Mass--with a strange peace and joy that allowed me to feel the Love of Christ: for me. He cares for EVERY need! He thinks of it ALL, and His timing is impeccable. In this time of waiting for the waters to hit, God is softening my heart, reminding me of His love as he romances me with His strength and providence...
| Member of Paa Ot's family--staying in a warehouse with 1,800 people living in tents. Their homes are under about 1.5 meters of water, which is rising. This location is now said to flood as well. |
No comments:
Post a Comment