Tuesday, January 25, 2011

"Missionary"... Can I please be called something else?

Can I please be called something else?
I’ve always wanted to be a missionary. But now that I’m preparing to be a missionary for the next 18 months, I don’t like using that word! When people ask me where I am and what I’m up to, I easily mention that I am caring for my nephews in Madison. But then I say that I have a few weeks left until I leave. Then the question follows, “Where are you going next?”
It’s quite a logical and simple question, to which I say, “Thailand.”
It is at this point that I start to hesitate and speak softly, attempting to hold confidence and humility in my one word response. I might expound with, “I’ll be spending 18 months in Thailand”, as I try to put emphasis on the duration, not the location, hoping they might skip over that part. I know what’s next: “Wow! What are you going to be doing there?!”
            At this point I hate saying it, but it is the only way to tell the truth: “I am going to be a missionary.” Or, I can say, “I’ll be doing mission work.”
            The response is always:
            “Wow, good for you!”
            Or, “What exactly will you be doing?”
            Or, “Who are you going with? Is that Peace Corps? A Christian  group?”
All of these questions throughout the conversation are completely logical and natural, so, why is it difficult to say “missionary”?

Problem #1:
All the pastors, youth ministers and any other religious leaders talk about being missionaries where we’re at, or finding your “mission” in life. It’s like a challenge to each individual.  Christ called the disciples and sent them to spread the Gospel…so, we all have a mission. We can be missionaries here.
I know I delivered such messages in my work at the parish level, I heard it all through high school and college, and I know that all of that is true!

*Sigh* I know, I know, I know…

Problem #2:
I feel like it gives the impression that going to be a missionary overseas is akin to trying to “save the world”, or to attempt to live up to Mother Teresa and the incredible work she started in Calcutta. That’s what I think of every time I think of the word! Or, of Jim Eliot down in Ecuador who died in 1956 as a missionary to the Waodani people. Or, of St. Damian of Molokai who traveled from Belgium to a colony of lepers at Molokai.

I’m none of these, nor am I trying to be! I don’t think it deserves a response of incredulity. I’ll be in a city, living life with the people, trying to be a listening ear and presence of compassion. I want to be more human. I want to live from my heart. Perhaps it’s even selfish of me to go—fulfilling a desire on my heart, trying to form my heart as a young person, seeking to learn about another people so foreign…

I can’t come up with any other words…
What else would I call it, while still telling the truth?
Um… “I am going to live with the poor in Thailand.”
That sounds even more heroic.
How about: “I am going to live in Thailand with no job, no income, and to live with 4 strangers in prayer and service to our neighbors.”
Wow, why not join a convent?
How about, “I am moving to Asia for 18 months to live in a Buddhist neighborhood”.
That makes no sense! Why???

Why is missionary the only word?!
“mission”—
In Latin, “to send” is mitto, miso, missum. I have been sent.
I looked up the word, missionary, to find synonyms: disciple, messenger, follower.
I am a disciple of Christ. I have encountered Him. I am His follower and have asked and searched, and now hear a calling from Him. Thus, I must follow Him where He leads me. I am a messenger as He calls us each who know Him to share the Good News! I am to deliver the message to those I encounter as I live my life.

“-ary”—
a suffix added to a personal noun, meaning “contributing to” or “for the purpose of”…

Contributing to…being sent.
For the purpose of… being sent.

I am a missionary as I am following a call, having been sent, and being a follower of He who calls. Wow—what a way to share my call. Just the word missionary shares that message.

All In.
It is a vocation. (From the Latin, vocare: to call—hence, a calling!). Just as some are called to marriage or a job after college, I am called to be a missionary as a single woman. At least for the next 18 months!

During that time, I believe God will be preparing my heart for my next step. Whether that means a lifetime of mission work overseas, at home, being single, married, or religious… Wow… A lot is up for grabs! I suppose it gives me all the more reason to run as hard and fast as I can to God! Stay FOCUSED on Him and the work He has for me as far as I can see. He’ll take care of the rest.

As Fr. Hirsch told me, “Someday you will speak to a group of young people about this moment in your life. You can say either, ‘I heard God’s call and I jumped in with both feet, giving 100%’, or, ‘I gave God 50%” or ‘I went three quarters of the way in’…This, your story, will change lives. You decide now how that will happen.”

3 comments:

  1. Not sure if you remember me, we met at Covecrest last year for spring training. I just wanted to say that I'm a bit envious of you right now. I sometimes wish I had been closer to God when I was younger and would have loved to go off to another country as a missionary. Now I'm older and married (not that those are bad things) and need to be here doing what I'm doing. I think its really awesome that you are about to embark on this journey and I will continue to pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bert! Of course I remember you! I was so happy to meet so many awesome youth ministers, but I remember you sitting behind me in the van from the airport! Who knows--unless you have been "further" from God you may not be where you are now. Funny how God works... Thanks so much for the prayers! I really do appreciate all the prayers offered on my behalf. I need them! I will pray for you and your ministry in return!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very compelling, powerful, and rich Erika. I am so excited for you at this juncture in your life. I know you realize the gravity of what you are about to undertake, and that is good, but don't miss the sun behind the sometimes ominous clouds. It will right there the whole time waiting to break through when you least expect it and most need it. I was very moved by this post and I am quite certain all those that read it were as well. Thank you for sharing what is on your heart and mind with the rest of us. :)

    ReplyDelete